Mostly contain my own notes.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Daiwa Exceler 4000 - with DigiGear


Excellent features for affordable price. Initially, DigiGear only been honored to Daiwa top of the range product such Saltiga. Daiwa had been kind enough to introduce an affordable range with their innovation. DigiGear perhaps is the most distintive feature of Daiwa to stand at par if not better to its closest and superior rival, Shimano. Daiwa Saltiga that priced pretty much at par with Shimano Stella and Van Staal using Digigear as their main selling features. Daiwa Exceler does not only come with DigiGear(tm), but HardBodyz(tm)(computer die cast aluminum alloy body), seven ball bearing including 2 CCRB(corrosion resistance bearing) at key locations, machined aluminum ABS spool(+ extra free spool) and machined aluminum handle. At price tag at about 8 times cheaper that Saltiga, I just have to get the reel into my collection. First thing that I would eagerly trying to find out is if it is super-smooth as it what DigiGear suppose to deliver. Even when I have it spooled with Berkley Ironsilk monofilament, I would be able to tell that there are something special about this reel. ABS features enable perfect spooling (my older Shimano had uneven thickness of spooled line, concentrated more at front side).
Digigear performance show its true value when I started casting. I know the the 10lb Ironsilk line may have contributed to the distance and castability, but I doubted that it by much. I had my Shimano Symetre 4000 spooled up with 20lb Power Pro braid, even with much thinner diameter I did not be able to get the same feel and distance as what Exceler deliver. Dragging the fish out of the hiding also proven with less effort. Perhaps this is due to the direct power transfer to the shaft as demonstrated by Daiwa with the Digigear evolution. I truly think that this reel is probably the best value for money. I have the 2500 series in mind for my next purchase.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

it would be VERY interesting to see what you have to say about the reel...a year down the road. How much have you used it? What rigors have you put it through? What are the biggest fish it has handled? What pole do you have it paired with now? etc?

Thanks