Mostly contain my own notes.

Friday, February 9, 2007

Shimano Sahara 5000


Shimano Sahara 5000

This probably the most value for money reel that I own. Fixed spool, front drag reel with aluminum body. Look a quite big compare to the 4000 series yet still lightweight for the size. Mostly availbale up to 4000 series but somehow I found this reel in Klang. I have it spooled with 30lb braided line and it works great on various occasion of sea trip. I alway brough along my Penn Spinfisher 850 but this reel deliver most of the time. Its lightweight features may just be the key of reel to use when you to hold your rod most of time. Made in Malaysia (which explain the cheap price) and only equipped with 3 + 1 bearing. I still have extra space for the 300 yrds spooled braided 30lb line. Bare in mind that this reel does not have the ARB (Anti Rust Ball Bearing features), so you have to be extra careful on taking care of the corrosion. What I did was to soak the reel in warm water fro like half an hour after each trips. Make sure it is rinse, drained and and let free dry on top of cloth in open space. It has been almost two years in my custody and still perfectly performed. The strength came from it big shaft diameter. Give and take, I would saythat its maximum drag at about 15 lb but not less.

0 comments: