Mostly contain my own notes.

Monday, February 5, 2007

Abu Garcia Conolon 6' 6" MH

This is a lightweight rod that I bought last year. Slim, 2 piece design which not too hustling to carry around. Carbon blank with cork handle, it grip quite nicely in my palm. There are a few thing that I do not really appreciate about this rod.
1. Handle felt kind of loosen from the blank after a while. I could actually twist it to a minor degree angle. Certainly did not expect this from Abu's Conolon.
2. The deterioration look of the cork handle over time. I don't usually like to liquor the handle. Some people do that to make cork handle last longer and look nicer. I just don't like the slippery feeling. I had my custom rod liquored, I wish I didn't. Despite on the minor complain on the handle, I think overall this rod perform well. The blank stiffness is just about right make it still good for bottom fishing with up to size 8 sinker. It work best for casting. I would really love to recommend this rod, but with the tag, I think there are a lot of other better option out there. By the way, it does not come with Fuji Guide. Until they do and change the
cork handle to Fuji handle.. look elsewhere.

3 comments:

Kirtus said...

Nice description, helped me buy my rod. Just a quick question, i just bought this rod in a 1 piece casting version and was wondering if the metal guides cut into braided lines or berkley fireline.Thank you

littlekahuna said...

Kirtus,

Usually, the braided lines are the ones that cut the guides. But in light of your question, no...braids are not affected by the guides.

Got myself the 6'6" Conolon and love it. Its a straight forward classic casting rod with trigger grip.

littlekahuna said...

Just an update, yeah...the upper part of the cork grip is starting to move. Its a good rod for fishing and I have thrown swimbaits, spinnerbaits, cranks and spinners with it and it handled them beautifully. It does feel a little heavy especially after casting for 1/2 a day.
Caught numerous fishes with it and not once did the rod feel overloaded, even with a 17lb sneakehead.
I believe that this is good beater rod. And it has been 3 years since I bought it, it still is my go to rod when scouting new areas.
It costs a lot less too. Just wish that the cork handle is more durable and not be easily loosened with regular use.